Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Museum of the Weird and Less than Firey Fireworks

I have been told to update my blog. I've been reluctant to because I feel that in this heat wave (with no air conditioning!), I don't want to blow up the computer. So I hope it'll hold up while I write.

Sunday, the 3rd-We went to the Museum of Jurassic Technology which really has nothing to do with dinosaurs. You get over the initial disappointment because you are then sent to an exhibit that explains the histories of museums, which not only disappoints you more, but also bores you. You leave this exhibit before the pre-recorded narration ends. There are plenty of other weird and interesting exhibits, notably one on microscopic paintings done with colors from moth's wings. And it does have a terrarium with an ant with a spike sticking out of its head. And creepy stuffed animals. And odd exhibits devoted to arcane theories of music, magnetism, and yes, space travel. And free tea on the roof. (Daryl has some pictures of some of the exhibits on his blog.) But I do say, you should avoid the movie theater, unless you'd like a nice nap, unless you're really interested in the theories of resurrection from a 19th century futurist, who then developed theories on space travel, which then leads the movie to the history of a major astronomical telescope during Communism. So you see what I mean. But it's not all that bad and some of the holographic x-ray pictures of flowers are really quite lovely.

Monday, the 4th-We had SF people in town over the 4th of July weekend and so, of course, we went to see fireworks, which I dislike. It was a strangely foggy affair (Our SF friends must have brought the fog with them.) and not that exciting, after walking a goodly distance from a terrible hamburger place which we went to only because the Italian place was closed. It was crowded, too, which didn't help, although I did spot a seal in the water while we were waiting. But since my birthday is reasonably close to the 4th of July I like to think people are celebrating for me.

Tuesday, the 5th-I have to say I was sorry to see our friends leave town. We hadn't had games in a long time and Daryl was quite lonely from it all, I think. So it was a good thing to have people over for him to entertain. And we did play games. I don't know what the count was, but we played at least 3 games of Catan and 2 games of Scrabble. Yeah! And Diane and I got to discuss toxins and OCD (after watching THE AVIATOR extras). Now I'm afraid of my shampoo. Thanks Diane! I have since gotten a less toxic brand from the local Whole Foods here. Daryl is bemoaning my expensive tastes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home