Sunday, December 09, 2007

August, a month for the moon and stars. And a killer.

Well, I've figured out the uploading problem. So let's continue with the belated blogs. The month of August! Hot weather, working two jobs and renting a car to keep up with it all. Okay, let's begin.

August 4th, Saturday - THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM. Everyone was talking about how great this one was. Well, from what I could manage to watch, it seemed ok. But it didn't help that the roving camera kept making me sick. I'm sure I missed out on the cool action since I was out in the lobby trying hard not to throw up. I hate the stupid verite camera effect. I'm sure Paul Greengrass is a fabulous director, but seriously he is not making movies for people like me, who have gotten nauseated on elevators. Stop moving the camera! Please.

Perseid fireball taken by Jimmy Westlake on 8 Aug 2007
August 12th, Sunday - Saw a fantabulous meteor shower and made many wishes. Daryl, Mo and I went out to the beach to see the Perseid Meteor Shower. I cannot even tell you how fantastic is was to catch a glimpse of the meteors streaking across the sky. I gasped at the first one and we weren't the only ones. There were families all camped out on the beach with us and many "ooohs" and "aaahs" were heard. Too bad I had to go to work the next day because the later it got into the evening the better it was supposed to be. I'm definitely taking a day off next year to watch and stay up late.

August 18th, Saturday - STARDUST. A good month for this movie, what with all the skywatching I was doing. It was a lovely fairy tale and a family movie. Michelle Pfeiffer is really enjoying being the main baddie in this one. Even under tons of make-up. It's a little corny, but it's a fairy tale. And a good one. The special effects are very good. I especially liked the ghosts of the dead princes commenting on the action. And Robert DeNiro, in one of the oddest characters I think he's played, is a cross-dressing pirate. He's a nice guy though. You really see why his crew love him. The ending actually made sense and there's a little "awww" in there too. I couldn't help myself. But there's still plenty of action and people are threatened with all sorts of sharp pointy things and some people actually die. So it's not all sentimental.

Here's a nice picture of the eclipse. From mr-mcgeek.blogspot.com

August 27th, Monday - August was a good month for skywatchers. This year had a lunar eclipse that made the moon red. It was magical. I love it when you don't need to bring out the telescopes.

August 31st, Friday - Then we saw the Aurigid meteor showers. These meteors weren't as bright or as varied as the Perseids, but it was still fantastic that I got to see them from my absurdly lit street. I woke Daryl up at 2am and there we were outside hanging out on the driveway searching for meteors in the sky in our jammies. I wasn't sure if we'd get to see any but we did and it exceeded all my expectations. At least this time it was on a weekend. I don't have a good photo here, so here's a website that has some good ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home