Friday, January 27, 2006

Ben and John and India Sweets and Spices

Friday, the 27th-Today we met up with Ben and his boyfriend John at a place called India Sweets and Spices. Ben's moved to Philly to go to rabbinical school, but John is in Brooklyn. Poor Ben. I got two vegetarian dishes that I assume had no wheat in it. I asked the proprietor if it had wheat in it. She said, "It's all vegetarian." I asked again, a little louder, this time, maybe she didn't hear me? She gave me the same answer. I asked again, in the vain hope that she would know what i was talking about. Alas, it was not to be. Sigh. I just ate what I hoped was wheat free and avoided the rest. Almost the same thing happened when I tried to order dessert. This time I POINTED to the item I wanted and it took THREE tries before she gave me what I wanted. Sighing, I paid for all three desserts and shared it with the gang. But, seriously, I POINTED! How could a pointed finger be miscontrued? Or maybe the lady was pulling a fast one on me. In any case, the desserts were great. Then, we hung out with Mo at her place. The three guys got together and mounted a gigantic mirror for Maurissa in her entry. It looked great. She's going to put a pink feather boa around it. Daryl left to go to work, Ben and John left to see Brokeback Mountain, and Mo asked to be left alone so that she could prep for her show later that evening. So I hung out with Megan, Maurissa's roommate, and her crowd. It was a fun group and there was an incredibly happy baby there, easily entertained by a little stuffed monkey. The baby's father made some guacamole that was lovely, since, by that time, I was starving, not having had anything wheat-free to eat for a long time. In retrospect, I should have gotten six desserts instead of three. Mo finished her prep and while we chatted with Megan's friends, we ate tons of corn chips and guacamole and drank water out of cups that reminded me of Weeble-Wobbles. They looked like they'd fall over, but they never did. Nice. Then, Mo gave me a ride home and I finally had something to eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home