Saturday, November 05, 2005

Kubrick Double Feature

Saturday, the 5th-My big thing for today was the double feature at the AERO theater in Santa Monica. They were going to show two old Kubrick films, Paths of Glory and The Killing. I had heard a lot about both of these movies when I started in editing. The films, as far as I know, were not available on DVD (They may be now, though). Paths of Glory was a movie about WWI and the crazy generals who treat the soldiers almost as toys to play with for their own personal pleasure and ambition, and about how the soldiers are screwed at every opportunity even when they behave reasonably. The Killing is a heist film set at a racetrack, with a really great ending, which I won't go into here. The Killing was Kubrick's first film, I believe and it was so good it got the attention of Kirk Douglas, who stars in Paths of Glory. I highly, highly recommend seeing both if you ever get the chance, although I have to say that Daryl was angry at the end of Paths of Glory and it almost put him in a bad mood for the rest of the evening. The screening also included a Q & A with an actor who had worked with Kubrick in three of his movies and who was in Paths of Glory. He was a funny guy, very charming and personable with many little anecdotes about Kubrick and it was a nice little lighthearted section in between the two rather depressing films. This time I got to go to the theater without a serious allergy attack, so I enjoyed the evening a lot more than the last time I went, but it was a double feature so we were starving afterwards and went to Swingers to get some food. Thank God for Daryl's innate sense of direction and memory because he found Swingers nearly right away. I think he must have Yahoo!Maps in his head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home