Thursday, July 21, 2005

Hot Hot HOT...and movies

OK, OK, I give up. LA is hot. And we have no air conditioning. Oy.

Basically, work has been scarce and so we have just been getting DVDs and watching them. Because instead of wallowing in our coming poverty, we're just trying to ignore it as much as we can. ( Just a warning to the bill collectors, here's our excuse:
"Sorry we didn't pay the bill because it was much too hot. Check in on us again next month. Cheers!")

We've seen, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, KINSEY, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE MINISERIES, and BLADE:TRINITY. MUCH ADO was fun and very well done. Keanu Reeves does the best he can given his limited voice, but the rest of the cast does a good job, even the Americans. It helps to watch it with the subtitles, at least for me, since our apartment is so loud it's hard to hear anything. And Italy is much too idyllic, people are way too clean to be living in the country. But there are some great comic moments in the movie and I'd definitely watch it again. KINSEY was really good and I think all of the actors did a terrific job although I have to say that I wonder why someone wanted to make a movie about this man. The material just didn't seem compelling enough to me. I guess reducing sex to statistics just doesn't seem to be that groundbreaking. Maybe that's just because I lived in SF for a while. But some of the acting in this movie is so good, I'd recommend it to anyone. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE MINISERIES, was compelling for me anyway, because I was a fan of the old series. I'd heard a lot about the new reworking of the mythos and was curious. It was pretty good and I think it helped dramatically to have the Cylons look like humans. And so far my favorite character is Baltar, as played by James Callis because I think he does a terrifically funny job. And just looking at Mary McConnell, who's character has cancer, sometimes makes you want to cry. Yes, she's that good. As for BLADE:TRINITY, I'm a little disappointed. The second movie had some movement in it that made you think, oh, now that was cool, but this just seemed like everyone was sleepwalking. And how many times can you kill off Whistler? Isn't he killed in every movie? I'm not sure why, but even wisecracks from Hannibal King didn't give it that much more humor, except when it came to the Pomeranian, which I won't explain because you'd have to see it to know what I'm talking about. The funniest scene was on the bloopers when you see the bad guy, Drake, holding a baby hostage. The poor actor, Dominic Purcell, (who is a very good actor, by the way) is trying to hold a screaming baby, while trying to seem menacing and it just is so funny because the baby keeps fussing so much the actor can't deal with it. The one thing I can say is that all of the main characters in this movie look seriously terrific, so if you want to look at six-pack abs, this is the movie for you. (Speaking of which, Ryan Reynolds actually has to act in one scene instead of quip and doesn't do half bad.)

So I hope I've updated everyone on our doings, which are mainly watching DVDs and trying to find ways to cool down and get more work. Wish us luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home