Thursday, November 10, 2005

More Cousins, Judy and Paul

Thursday, the 10th-I've been working at Christian's the past two days and I'm enjoying having a day off to meet with my cousins, Judy and Paul. I remember Judy, when she was Jyung Ming. She was, I think about 3 or 4 when I met her so long ago. And now she's 27 and living in Torrance! It's like she aged on a soap opera. Her little brother, Paul, was born on my birthday, when I think I was 10 or 11, I can't remember. I was thrilled at the time. And my mother took care of him for a day right after he was born and while she was giving him a bath, he peed right on her carpet. This is how I remember him and now he's an adult, out of college and travelling. And I got to see him today because he had just gotten back from travelling in Europe and the Middle East. In fact, he had been at the hotels in Jordan that got bombed, just a week ago. He said that he found a lot of Korean people travelling all over the world. Surprising as it must seem, I guess Koreans like to travel. He also said he found Australians travel the most and live the most cheaply all over the world. Very friendly, too. Judy drove us to a sushi joint called Crazyfish that had huge sushi. There was no way I could finish. Paul told us a funny story about eating at an all-you-can-eat sushi joint. He and his buddies would palm the rice and just eat the fish so that they wouldn't stuff their bellies. He said the owner was not happy when he found out. Then Judy and I went to have some gelato and I finally got the coconut ice cream fix I had been jonesing for for weeks. She works at 7a and gets off at around 3p, tied to the market. And she loves going to yoga in Santa Monica even though it's far from home, it's near work in Playa Del Rey. She says she probably keeps up her Korean because she watches the Korean soaps and chats with her girlfriends in Korean at church. Paul says that he and his friends never speak Korean. I guess it's up to the girls to keep the language up in America. I tell them I've never wanted to speak Korean as much as when I've watched the show LOST, which has Korean characters. Maybe I'll get them to translate it for me or is that too pathetic? But it's nice to know I have family here, especially family that I haven't seen in forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home